Tuesday, February 13, 2007

OMG Forever and the Evil Data Center Monkey

So as part of my day I decided to reformat one of our semi-large storage systems so that I can use it as temporary storage for consolidating one of my tape libraries. Don't even ask why I am having to do all of this that is for another post or three. So anyway I wait for about 8 forevers for this data storage device to format. (Read the linked post on another blog I frequent for details on my time wasters) After getting done with this it turns out that the server will only partially recognize the device unless I reboot the server. So I have scheduled a maintenance window for tomorrow to get that done. I will post anything interesting that happens about that tomorrow.

So when I got to work today I have an interesting voice mail regarding one of my tape libraries. Apparently sometime during the weekend it got turned off. Don't ask me how, but the power switch was set to off. So I go by and talk to the person that left the voice mail, and he semi-accuses me of messing around in the data center and breaking things, but I haven't been in that data center since Thursday of last week, and he said that the library was fine on Friday. So my theory is evil data center monkeys. They come out from under the floor paneling at night, throw huge parties, get drunk, and high on computer dust. Then they proceed to mess up my network wiring and equipment just enough to make it tough to fix. So I am going to go in there with a large bat next week and chace them all out and change the door combination.

No comments: